Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

2.23.2011

This and That!!!





Hello Everyone,

Jarod here.  I apologize in advance.  This blog may be rather lengthy as (believe it or not) we actually have a few things to write about.

First thing first…I am sorry for the delay in getting this out but I want to thank all of you who helped out with the clothes drive around Christmas time.  The clothes were dispersed and the children were very excited to have a new pair of clothes, especially around Christmas time.  Most of the kids wear their new clothes everyday now.  Thank you so much for making this happen and for making over 100 children in our village a little happier around the holiday season.  If it wasn’t for you, they would have never had a new pair of clothes to wear on Christmas which is a Rwandan tradition. 


Also, last month I was able to work with a school to start a water catchment system.  The school has had no source of water for hand-washing or cleaning since it was built several years ago.  The water must be drawn from a creek a good distance away.  But, thanks to a little help, I was able to raise around 500 dollars to start a water catchment project.  The great thing was, I pretty much explained my thoughts for the project to the head master at the school, had him sign a contract that he would finish within one month and handed him the money.  The school ran with the project and made it their own which is what I wanted.  Instead of the initial 1000L tank I had proposed, they added some of their own money and purchased a 2500L tank.  The system was constructed and finished a week early and has been working great ever since.  The tank even filled up in less than two hours recently from a steady downpour (I guess it helps that we live in a rain forest). 

Anyway, I think the best thing about the project was that I felt I finally contributed to something and saw something tangible that I knew was going to help many people.  Now, more than 400 people have readily available water to wash their hands and clean the school.  And, the teachers told me they would soon purchase the water treatment chemicals to make the water potable so the children can have something to drink throughout the day…A simple project with a big impact…good day for everyone!


Changing gears to something totally random...so, we were on the way back to our site a few weeks ago when I saw some birds fly across the road and just miss the front of the bus.  Unfortunately, not all of the birds made it.  One ended up flying right through the barely opened passenger window of the bus.  It barely missed mine and Sarah’s heads but sadly, it didn’t make it out the other side.  It was a pigeon and as you can imagine a little dazed but it seemed to be okay.  It got interesting when the lady sitting behind me decided to put it in her bag.  I thought surely they would let it fly out the window but I guess this lady wanted a pet…or so I hoped.  Within 5 minutes she had that dude plucked and yes, still alive, tucked away in her bag.  I don’t think I need to finish this story.  Moving on…

Oh, another thank you goes out to Sarah’s Mom.  Thank you Elizabeth for sending all the tooth brushes for the kids.  We were able to purchase the remaining few so all 300 nursery school kids and the 35 vulnerable on the feeding program could have their own brush and learn the importance of good oral hygiene.  Some of the kids from the feeding program can be seen here brushing away.  After their porridge every day they must brush their teeth before they can leave.  I can’ tell you how much the kids love it…even though their gums bleed like crazy because they have never done this before.  After a month or so this bleeding will stop.  Most of them will brush for at least 5 -10 minutes and one girl the other day even broke the 15 minute mark…I am not sure that is a good thing or not but needless to say, her teeth were clean that day.            


Probably the biggest news in the life of Jarod and Sarah is the new addition to the family.  Yes it is a little puppy maybe 7 weeks old.  Our friend who lives on the other side of the country found him stuffed in a burlap sack and several kids gathered around kicking and beating him.  She paid the kids 500 francs (less than 1 dollar) and took the little guy.  Unfortunately though, she had no place to keep him and her neighbors didn’t want a dog around as well.  So, after trying for several days to find a new home and with no takers, we decided to take him off her hands.  He is a golden color and since he came from so far away we named him Mvuyekure (I come from far) Izuba (Sun).  We call him Zuba and since Rwandans love shortening names, the kids just call him Zu pronounced like Zoo.  The great thing is, since he has been outside his entire life, he only knows to pee and poop outside and since we have taken him, he lets us know every time he needs to use the bathroom or the grass.  Sarah is extremely excited as you can imagine and I am secretly excited as well but don’t tell anyone…you can’t not love this little dude. 


Okay, last but not least we want to leave you with a little section I like to call, “Differences between Rwanda and America”.  Sorry if I put something in here that has already been mentioned in a previous blog…can’t remember that far back.

-         Hair: As far as I know, in America people try to make their hair extensions blend in as mush as possible to look like it is actually their real hair.  In Rwanda, women love to show off their new braids and hair extensions regardless of how unnatural it looks.  To be able to have hair extensions is a sign of wealth in Rwanda maybe sort of like having a Louis Vutton bag or Channel glasses.  You can always point out a newcomer in our village when you see a woman strolling through town with her shinny new braids. 
-         Also, when it comes to school, students are not allowed to have long hair.  And, when I say long I mean like ¼ of an inch long.  The other day we were walking home when I noticed almost every student that passed me had a large area of hair missing from their head.  Turns out, if the teachers deem that you hair is too long, they take some sort of razor, cut a 1 by 4 inch line out of the front of your hair and send you on your way, marked as one who must get his head shaved.  As sad as the whole situation is, it is kinda funny to see kids walking around with their hair like that.   In America, well you know with hair, pretty much anything goes.
-         Radios: In Rwanda, if you have a radio you are instantly hip.  And, the radio must go with you everywhere you go carried in your arm cradled like a book or on your shoulder like something straight out of the 80’s.  It doesn’t matter what language is being spoken on the radio or even if they can understand it.  As long as there is some kind of noise coming from those speakers then everything is awesome. 
-         Hot vs. Cold: So, I think I am in the same boat with everyone when I say we like our food hot and our showers even hotter.  In Rwanda, that doesn’t fly.  If you get hot food at a local restaurant you must count yourself blessed.  It is usually served cold and they don’t mind to eat it that way…they actually prefer it…at least most of them that I have found.  And the showers, if you mention a hot shower in Rwanda you can expect some funny looks.  Hot showers are about as foreign to Rwanda as an IHOP would be in my village.  Man I miss IHOP…rooty tooty fresh and fruity get in my belly!!!  Anyway, moving on.  
-         Giving birth:  So, I hope I don’t get in trouble by all the lady folk for this but I would say that the majority of women in American love their pain meds when it comes to child delivery…I said the MAJORITY.   I don’t think you can find a Rwandan woman who has taken pain meds to give birth anymore than you can find a double quarter pounder with cheese growing in my pathetic excuse for a garden…man I gotta get off of the food…I might cry.  Anyway, in our village, the women decide “hey I am about to go into labor, I should probably start walking” then they walk the 3 hour walk to the health center and deliver their baby…if they make it and don’t have their baby in the road first.  Once everything is done and the necessary precautions made, within a few hours, she packs the baby up and heads back on the 3 hour walk back to Banda.  And, the next day you can see her in the field working with the baby wrapped in blankets sitting to the side under some shade tree.  I think we can all see the differences here.  American women…don’t take for granted the health care at your disposal.  True the women don’t pay more than a few bucks if any for the whole process but let’s be honest, if you had your choice, which would you choose.  – Hot

I could list more but this is getting too long as it is.  We hope you are all doing great and as always, we miss you all.  Hey, it is one year to the date that we left the good ole US of A to come here.  Wow, how time flies.  Okay, take care and we will hopefully write again soon. 

Jarod and Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment