Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

2.05.2011

More to come...

Hello everyone! Again, it has been a while since I’ve written but here I am. So not a lot has happened but I’m trying to find some things to type about.  Jarod recently did a project with the small primary school here in our village. He applied to this organization Watercharity.org and they gave him $500 US dollars to put towards a project here. They wired the money, the school took the project and they ran with it! You can read all about his project on their website. If you click Rwanda, scroll down and you can find his project with pictures. I am about to apply to do a project with the larger Primary school here. Hopefully that will be on the website soon as well.

 

We’ve pretty much just been trying to start projects and get something going here. We are working with a supermodel who is wanting to develop a bracelet here that would be sold around the world. She’s here this week and we’re meeting with the craft group to start working on that…wish us luck! Hopefully, we’ll find something she’s interested in and start turning out beautiful bracelets.

 

Here’s just some random funny thing that have happened the other day: I went to take money out of the ATM and as I previously mentioned, Rwandans confuse their “R”s and “L”s. They interchange them as if they’re one letter. So as I am waiting for my money to pop out, at the bottom of the screen it says “To end transaction, press Cancer”. Haha! I started laughing and barely caught my money as it fell out of the slot. I couldn’t help but remember I am still in a developing country even though I am using an ATM in the capital.

 

So in other news, we’re extremely bummed about the recent civil unrest in Egypt. I am glad, for Egypt that it is happening as it has been deemed “proper revolution”. If you don’t know, basically (from what we’ve been told as we still don’t have a radio) the young people of the country that are “in” with the times are sick and tired of a crappy and corrupt government so they’ve taken it upon themselves to form alliances and march until the Prime Minister steps down. He fired all his cabinet and they’ve cut internet access with the entire country until something happens. This is awesome, but we’re sad because that means that until things calm down, Peace Corps “forbids” us from going there and as many of you know…we were planning this huge trip to Egypt and Israel for our 3 year anniversary in April. I’m so bummed but also so thankful that we hadn’t bought our tickets yet. We’ll figure out something else to do but we had a kick butt itinerary and now I’m bummed it isn’t going to be happening. Ahh!! Why can’t we all just get along???

 

This weekend we are going to see the gorillas. I am sooooo excited. We will definitely be posting pictures and writing a blog about our wonderful experience. This is said to be one of those “once in a lifetime” experiences and so far, not one of our friends that have went have been let down. So, we’ll keep you updated.

 

I need to give a shout out to all my January peoples:

January 4th-Happy Birthday Landon. I hope it was wonderful and that God is continually blessing you and Cortney. January 25th-Happy Birthday Nanny! I misss you so much and will see you as soon as possible. January 31st-Happy Birthday Daddy. The big 50!! I can’t believe you turned 50…I think I’m supposed to send over the hill balloons and stuff but well, I didn’t think they’d make it from here. Haha. I love you and hope it was great Also on the 31st-Happy Birthday Amanda Kelley-Ewing. I hope your day was wonderful .

 

I miss you all and we look forward to seeing you. We love you guys and pray for you all continually!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment