Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

2.27.2011

One of those days...

Have you ever had one of those days that nothing significant really happens but yet everything happens? Valentines day this year was one of those days for me. My wonderful mother in law sent my husbands favorite “cake” with all the ingredients in a box. So naturally I planned on making that for valentines day. Let’s be honest, it’s hard to be romantic when you have no electricity, everything’s dead and you can’t even get fixed up. So I was already in a bit of a frazzle. Jarod was sitting out on the front porch talking with one of the neighbor boys (whom he spends a lot of time with daily) so I was getting frustrated because I wanted to plan this special something (of which I still have no idea what I wanted to do) but was frustrated he had been out there talking a long time. Then, I was baking the cake in my make shift oven and trying sooooo hard to get that stinking thing to rise. Our little neighbor who always comes over and hangs out (he’s seven) was helping me “gucana” which means to light the fire. It was already going but he loves to blow the flames and make it bigger. Well, the hotter it is, the better chances of me getting my amazing cake I was wanting. So I said bring it on. So picture me, as always fretting around about something and he and I are making small talk. But then that moment comes…when you feel like the biggest idiot and God just slaps you right in your face. He said “today I went to school, and then I went and drew water, then I played with my sister, came here and now I’m helping you…oh and I’m hungry because I haven’t eaten today.” Bam. Slap so hard I nearly cried. This precious precious child of God is 7 years old and it is 6:00 at night and he hasn’t eaten. Nothing. My heart broke and I felt like God was like you idiot…stop fretting over a stupid cake and feed that kid! So…not how I intended to end up spending my valentines day…but I got so much more out of it than just a dinner with my husband. I ended up cooking sasoma for him, his sister and a few other kids. It then turned into a big deal because they were here after dark and his parents came home drunk and he wasn’t home but we got it all worked out and it made my day to help him. I’m attaching a picture of them eating…


Oh and the cake was the bomb-diggidy!



Another interesting thing that happened is as you all know, it is HARD to get eggs in our village. We have been trying every since we got here and the most at once we got was 10. However, jarod decided to “make a deal with God”. He “told” God that if he’d bring us 11 or more eggs at once then we would not proceed with buying chickens. We were wanting to buy chickens and I felt it would be bad because we’re helping the village people by buying all they have when they have some, so he makes this deal…and I say ok that sounds good. I kid you not, within 24 hours we have over 40 eggs-FORTY- eggs brought to our house. It was jackpot…egg style! This week has been the best week for protein yet as we had 6 cans of tuna from a package, eggs and milk! WOO HOOOOO!




 














No comments:

Post a Comment