Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

9.03.2010

Can I just have one drama free day? No, that’s what I thought.

9-1-10

So where to start? I know it’s been a while so this might be really long. Let’s see, we went to Kigali for some much needed rest and relaxation for Jarod’s birthday. It was wonderful! We had hot showers, chocolate chip cookies, good food, cold sprites, and again, hot showers! We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We returned to site on Saturday the 21st. This is where it gets fun. At least for me, anyways.

Sunday morning I wake up and go about my rat killing and realize somehow my tooth is chipped. Not just any tooth, my crown. Of course, my crown. You know the metal one I had for 10 years and then Peace Corps made me replace with a fancy new porcelain plated one…yes that one. The one I paid $800 bucks for….yes, that one. It’s chipped less than one year after being put on. Right down the middle. So I call the PCMO and talk with him about what I need to do. Of course, it required me to come to Kigali. So off I go first thing Tuesday morning. I arrive and find out that the dentist doesn’t work on Tuesdays, naturally. I then get an appointment for the following day at 2:30. I go to this appointment and she tells me that the crown needs fixed or replaced but either way she can’t do it here in Rwanda. In the mean time though, she spots two teeth that are just sitting in their little holes, minding their own business and rotting out all by their selves. What does she say?? They gots to go! They are not bothering her in the slightest but she wants ‘em out. 2 root canals. YAY! I go back to the PCMOs and they are in total agreement with the dentist. I am officially being “medevaced” to South Africa. The first in our group actually. I always thought I was pretty tough but give me 6 months in Africa and my teeth start falling apart! Literally.

From here it gets really fun. I go home on Thursday. Spend a couple of days with my community and then the PCMO calls (on Monday) and says you are leaving Wednesday morning first thing so you must come tomorrow. We both desperately want Jarod to come with me but Peace Corps obviously can’t pay for him since he doesn’t have any issues. So with much drama we get him a ticket purchased and are currently flying over the Congo/coast of some country….woo hoo! This morning was so dramatic with purchasing a ticket (Jarod can explain all this) that I was literally shaking and crying because I thought I was going alone without him. Now I know I am a big girl and can do this all alone, but geez. I’ve been with him every single day from morning to night for 6 months. I’ve become a little dependent.

But wait…. My friend Jenn…she has a boyfriend and he came from America last week and when they visited us…he had a gift for me. That’s right ladies and gents. Prepare yourselves! A 20 OUNCE DR PEPPER!!! Now with me being a bundle of nerves and sitting in the airport alone waiting to find out whether Jarod is coming with me, what do I do? Oh yes, you know it baby. I pull out the Dr Pepper. Ryan buddy…you saved my day. I sat there crying to myself and drinking my Dr Pepper. Telling Jesus how good he was to me. Now that’s a true pity party if I’ve ever seen one. Guess what, lo and behold I look up and there is my hubby walking through security. Peace Corps saved the day.

Now if I haven’t already mentioned, all joking aside-I absolutely LOVE the Peace Corps Medical Officers. They are MORE than amazing. I mean, if I could ever have picked two men in the world to have on my mental/physical/emotional/anything else a doctor does, side…these two men would be it. Dr Elite and Dr Laurent are the most amazing men! They care about you as a volunteer and I trust them 100%. It’s so nice to be able to know if I need something…they are there. So mothers…please know that we are being taken care of by the Peace Corps.

Last but not least, I think this is the last week for our current Country Director, John Reddy. Jarod and I are extremely sad to see him go. We liked him a lot. Our new country director is named, Mary Abrams. We have yet to meet her but are looking forward to that.

And of course…here’s our monthly shout outs!

September 27th-Happy Birthday Breanne. 15!! You’re growing up so fast. Jarod says “holy crap.” Also, on the 27th –my parents anniversary. 29 years!! WOW. Mom and dad, you are amazing and a wonderful example to look up too. Jarod and I are so blessed to have you in our lives!

I think that’s all for now. We love you and will be in South Africa for me, at least 2 weeks. For Jarod…a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment