Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

6.21.2010

A successful cooking experience

6-2-10

It is absolutely amazing what you become proud of in Africa. For instance…cooking. That is probably the source of mine & Jarods most stressful situations. Every day there is that looming question that I dread upon returning home for lunch. “So, what are you going to cook?” AHH!! I want to scream because I have NO IDEA what I’m going to cook. I can just take a run to the local store and grab a few things. These meals take precise planning because otherwise, TIA, and you’ll starve if you don’t plan it out. Today, I had decided we were going to attempt vegetable soup. I was a wee bit nervous but I got in there and started. Jarod peeled the potatoes for me, which was fabulous because those things are filthy. Then, I diced the peppers, tomatoes, and carrots. Once he finished I diced the potatoes and began our adventure. Surprisingly the finished product was AMAZING. Apparently for those of you who don’t know…lemon pepper with herbs and Caribbean jerk sauce are absolutely delightful in soup. We toasted some bread and threw on a little garlic salt and the bread was fabulous. Overall it was a successful day’s journey down cooking lane. I was so proud. My nanny would probably be embarrassed to know I was proud of making vegetable soup.

On a side note, I must talk to my mother for a moment. Mom, I am very sorry. I am not trying to betray the family line of hating tomatoes. However, since coming to Banda we have probably went through about 30 tomatoes (2 weeks) because well I can now make some KILLER spaghetti sauce and tomato soup with fresh tomatoes. Today, I couldn’t even taste them in the soup! I still get totally grossed out by eating them raw or on a sandwich but cooking with them and then eating them has seriously gotten much better. I know I know. You’re shaking your head and saying yuck but well what else do I have to eat?? I love you. 

In other news, we have been sleeping much better. Jarod still hears the occasional thing that will wake him and make him wonder but the last 2 evenings I have been sleeping so well. It’s quite nice. The problem is here when the sun goes down, everyone mostly turns in because well lets face it, what else is there to do? So, obviously any noise what-so-ever is so loud. A baby crying. A bird chirping. Anything out of the normal cricket or wind blowing area is pretty much heard everywhere here. So…we’re working on it. I still think we’re sissies but whatever.

We wanted to give a shout out to all our “Juners”. Happy Anniversary Aunt Pam & Uncle Dwight on the 4th. 27 years. Congratulations. Happy Anniversary Camilla & Jim on the 15th! (Sister, I am so happy and proud for you guys. 8 whole years…you’re such an adult!). HAPPY FATHERS DAY ON THE 20TH! We love you guys and miss you so much. Happy Anniversary Nat & Steve on the 25th. Happy Anniversary Landon and Cortney on the 26th (Jarod says he’s sorry if that date is wrong-“you got married like 12 years ago” ). And last but certainly NOT least….happy birthday to my little deagy. Deagan will be a whopping 2 years old this month.  I’m so sad to miss it. We love you guys all so much and are constantly thinking of you.

(I just went to save this blog and realized when I entered the date, 6-2-10 that the first blog we wrote was saved as 3-1-10. I can’t believe we been here 3 whole months! That’s insane. I can still see our amazing parents and little sisters standing and waving goodbye at the airport. It just doesn’t seem possible. See you guys….it’s flying by!)

No comments:

Post a Comment