Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

4.14.2010

So Excited!!

4-14-10

Hello! So unfortunately we haven’t had internet in about 2 weeks.
We’re very sorry but as I mentioned before…its SOOO slow.

So I need to devote an entire sentence for this alone (it probably
deserved its own blog)…

I HAVE DR PEPPER!! THAT’S RIGHT PEOPLE DR PEPPER.

Our parents sent a package as a trial run and shipped a bottle of dr.
pepper. It did NOT explode and arrived here unharmed to me. I am
totally taken by its beauty. What?  No really, I can’t wait to bribe
someone to let me use their fridge for a short time to cool it. It’s a
miracle from God!! He shined upon me today.

This entry is pretty much me just really excited about a recent
discovery. So here goes…all of my life I’ve wondered exactly “what I
am supposed to be doing” with myself. It’s a thought I’ve pondered and
prayed about on many many many occasions. Yesterday, I think I had a
break through. We were told to give our school history, intern
history, work experience and relevant classes/skills in a bullet
format for one of the PCT’s to type up for everyone. Here’s what my
list consisted of.

School: BS in Food, Human Nutrition & Hospitality. Emphasis: Dietetics.

Internship: Worked for Edinburgh Community Food Initiative. I worked
in Nurseries talking with parents about fruit and vegetable
consumption among their 3 and 4 year olds.

Work History: Worked with University Baptist Church in the Children’s
Ministry Department (nursery up to 3rd grade). Worked as the Director
& Nutrition Coordinator for a preschool (WACD). Babies up to
Kindergarten.

Relevant Classes/Skills: Any Nutrition classes. Loves spending time
with family & friends. Loves children.

Came to Rwanda…as a Health Worker…went to our village and the first
place we went was the Nursery. They have 300 three to six year olds.
In a parent-teacher meeting the doctor told the parents we would be
working with them over the next 2 years to help improve their
Nutrition and health. Yesterday, this light bulb came on for me as I
was reading through my history and skills. I think I maybe should be
working with children and nutrition. I took a billion classes with
WACD on child development, child behavior management, curriculum
planning, etc. umm…duh.

I still don’t know what will happen after the PC but today we were
assigned groups to go out into the community and do what’s called a
“Participatory Analysis for Community Action” project. Jarod, Trena &
I were assigned to one group. We went to a Primary school which is
6-15ish year olds. We arrived and realized they have 12,000 students
with 12 latrines (squatty potties). No running water or soap. Hygiene
anyone? I feel so excited to figure this out. Other groups were
assigned to Cooperatives and Hospitals. Jarod and I got the
school….with YOUNG kids. I’m just so excited. This may seem totally
random…but I just can’t wait to get involved. How can I help these
children? I know how a preschool is supposed to be ran. I know “what
right looks like” and I am here gaining the knowledge of resources.
God is working something really good out for us… I just know it!

So that’s my epiphany for the day.

Recap… I have a 12 oz bottle of Dr Pepper.

I miss you all. Love you all and hope to hear from you soon. Via
email, letter or call!

Sarah

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad that I someone else loves Dr. P as much as me!! We might have to send some your way!!! Love you guys!! Cortney parker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, it's so good to hear God is working to show you what you should be doing in the future! : ) You'll be great at that too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks lyndsey! i sure hope so. how are you? email me... sarahescudder@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete