Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

4.01.2012

So long...

Oh man. What an interesting couple of weeks/days we've had. It's just been plain nuts. It started off around mid-February. We had a Close of Service (COS) conference in which we were told how this last few weeks should go as far as ending our service and leaving PC. Then, we got home and within a week had to return for our COS medical exams. The day mine ended I rode back to Banda with my supervisor from America and we had them plus the owner and some board members until about the 15th of March.

Jarod relaxing with Zuba on the porch for the last time

After that...its just was pure insanity. We started packing up our home. This is no easy task when you have lived in a place for two years and can only take a couple of suitcases home. In addition, when living in a culture in which everyone thinks you owe them something and should give away all your things and money to them...we faced a dilemma of what to do with all our crap. So we decided to sell it all. Every single thing. From pencils to furniture. We, of course, gave them the cheapest prices ever i mean like 5 cents and such but it was the principal of them investing into something that mattered to them and thus avoiding the "give me mentality". It was a HUGE success. We sold everything we had! And people wanted more but we didn't have anything else to give. It was great. We also showed the kids their first movie. They watched WALL-E. It was such a delight watching their little faces during the movie. They also got a yummy cup of porridge to fill their little bellies!

watching WALL-E 

Our days leading up to the goodbye was tense and stressful. Telling everyone when we were leaving and then constantly following up their questions of "yes but you'll return quickly" was overwhelming. The night before we left we hosted a going away party for all of our closest friends that had been important to us over the past 2 years. It was so sweet. We fed them this food called "akabenzi" which is basically pork and plantains but cooked in the most amazing way. They were so excited as many of them can not afford meat and this was their first time eating this dish that is so common in their country. We all then proceeded to tell awesome stories and memories about one another. They did a traditional dance for us and we joined in as best as possible. It was hilarious.

me trying to do the "cow dance" with my friends

All of our precious people...its so hard to believe 2 years have passed

The next morning was bitter sweet. Levi, our Supervisor showed up at our house at 6:20 am. We started packing all of our things and everyone came to help. There were so many people trying to get our things arranged that it was overwhelming. Naturally, this is the part where my "This is Africa" saying starts coming in to the equation. I climbed into the bed of the truck to arrange the suitcases and my arm just starts burning! I look down and some insect is stinging the mess out of me. Before I could get it off, it got me twice.  Then, Jarod hands me the bike and we realize it's too long. So we have to remove the back wheel from it. Then, of course we had to remove the back wheel of the other bike as well. But, we finally get it all packed. I'm doing a walk through of the house and walk outside and I'm just not paying attention so I kicked a rock and my toe starts bleeding. AHH!

Finally the moment has come...we say our goodbyes. This is the part where we lose it. My little babies, all present and accounted for on my legs. I couldn't take it! I just started crying. And then naturally because they don't cry a woman says "Jesus Christ look at Sarah, she's crying." So everyone starts staring. Then, I realize Jarod's crying and I lose it more. Finally and thankfully, we drive away. But those emotions couldn't stay long because less than 2 minutes later the car gets stuck and we have to all get out and push. Well...we as in me, Jeremiah and Jean Pierre push while Jarod just laughs at all of us and watches. Then, about 5 minutes later we get stuck again. But this time, when the truck takes off...he keeps going so we had to walk the shortcut up the mountain to catch up with him! Finally we get back in and literally 30 seconds later we get stuck again. He of course takes off again and we walked another 15 minutes to catch up for the 2nd time. I was thinking to myself how I just couldn't wait to never do this again! Thankfully, that was the last time we had to push.

Once we got to the main road, we were off! Within an hour and a half we were pulled over (in Rwanda, the police stand on the side of the road all day and pull over almost every other vehicle that goes by just because they can and want to see the paperwork etc.). This cop of course sees that we are white and assumes Levi is just a driver so he makes up this bogus law that we absolutely know to be wrong and writes Levi a ticket and takes his driver's license (also how they operate in Rwanda...takes the license and to get it back you have to pay the ticket). I am livid at this point! I'm screaming and Levi is laughing at me saying "This is Rwanda, you have to just be patient" blah blah blah. No. So we get pulled over about an hour later again and she sees the ticket and asks what happened. We explain to her the situation and we can tell by the look on her face it's a bogus ticket. She asked us to go speak with her boss and tell him what happened. So we do...probably because I was so furious that I couldn't see any reason not too. We arrive and they quickly direct us to the supervisor. Jarod and I explain what happens and he is surprised. He's the person in charge of the entire Southern province....meaning he's that dudes boss. He immediately calls and scolds the person on the phone and gets the ticket dropped. So Levi can now go get his license the next time he passes through. woo hoo!!

We continue on our way. After being stopped a 3rd time...we arrive! We head to Peace corps and naturally none of the people we needed were there (during business hours) and the people who were there didn't have one clue what to do with all our stuff we're required to turn in. Eventually the man in charge of taking PCVs stuff shows and takes care of it all in 25 seconds. We then went to our friend Emily's and we unpacked and it was such a wonderful feeling.

Since it's our goodbye moment with Jeremiah and Levi we all decided to go to dinner. Now, I may just be hateful at this point but I believe the waitress deserved to be straight up punched in her face. She forgot to bring Jeremiah's drink for more than 30 minutes...then got mad when Jarod got up and asked the bar for it. When our food comes out it looks great...burgers and fries. But we got our bill, she had added fries to all of our food. We told her we didn't add extra fries. She said they don't come with it but apparently the menu doesn't say that...they just bring you the food and then charge you. I said well you should say that on your menu and she says "well everyone knows". I quickly replied well I don't live here so I don't know! Jeremiah was mad but quickly decided to add thank you to her and she made a huffing sound and said "you people are making me tired" and walked off. It was not as nice as it sounds being typed. It was totally rude and Jeremiah was like "excuse me??" So that was my cue to leave before I got hateful! So we left the table a mess and I stormed out of there. Honestly, lady you have a job because I was hungry. Learn the words...customer service.What a day.

I keep thinking this place has made me an abnormally patient person with so many things and then a day like this happens and I wonder if I'm 12 again....thankfully we'll be home soon and then we can just remember the good things and spend time with our amazing families and friends.

5 days! I can't believe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment