Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

7.19.2011

RUN RUN RUN

Hello Everyone…Jarod here.   Just wanted to give you a quick update as to what has been going on in the last couple months since we haven't posted.  Sarah has already taken care of the blog about our crazy dog Zuba.  I will tell you a little about the Kigali Marathon we recently participated in.  Before you gasp in amazement at our sheer strength, motivation and endurance to run a full marathon, let me first say we participated in the relay part of the race…a team of 4, each running 6.5 miles.  Now you can say, "ohhh okay that makes since."  

For some odd reason, Sarah and I both ran the last leg of the race.  Unfortunately, by the time we were able to start our run, most of the other runners had already finished.  So unlike the usual bursting off the starting line with hundreds of other runners, Sarah and I both set off for our journey alone, she about 20 minutes ahead of me.  I was serially the last runner to leave the stadium.  Unfortunately by this time, almost all of the road markers and signs directing people where to run had been taken down.  So, right out of the gate I made a wrong turn, ran all the way around the outside of the stadium then left the parking lot only to stand at the road and ask everyone walking by which way to run.  After about 30 seconds of waiting and asking, someone finally said, run that way.  At this point I was already feeing like quitting thinking about the rest of the run.  This happened again at least 2 more times throughout my run.  I seriously just wanted to stop and say are you kidding me…skip this or in the famous words of my uncle Roger, "Pooie with it!"  Sarah had many of the same problems and spent some time running the wrong way as well.   Well over an hour later I arrived back at the stadium entrance only to be greeted with one of the volunteer race supporters who asked me to carry around the flat Kennedy poster on my last lap around the track to the finish line (this poster was brought along to signify the celebration of 50 years of Peace Corps).  Sadly, at this point I felt like I was going to die but told her I would be happy to do it.  This proved to be a little more difficult than what I expected since the life size poster acted as a wind sail as I ran my last lap spinning and hopping around the track like a little fairy trying to keep the poster up as I ran.  Finally I crossed the finish line, the last person to finish in the relays, as everyone cheered and congratulated me.  It was during that short but seemingly forever long 6.5 miles that I learned the reason I don't run…because I hate it.  There was a 73 year old man and another with only one leg running the half marathon (13 miles) and I am almost positive their 2nd lap was much quicker than my only lap…sad I know.  It turns out walking up and down mountains at 7500 feet in elevation everyday just isn't the same as actually running.  Next time I will know.  

Anyway, it was a fun day and I am glad that we participated.  Peace Corps had over 50 people between staff and volunteers running that day.  It was great and as much as I didn't enjoy that run, I would probably do it again if I had the chance.  

No comments:

Post a Comment