Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

3.21.2010

Let’s go Men!

3-21-10

Jarod here…so what’s new? Language…still tough, Rwanda…still beautiful, training…still intense but good, food…well…Anyway, I don’t
think I mentioned this before but out of the 36 people in our Health
group, only 5 are men. FIVE!!! Come on guys. So, needless to say I
had to bump up the testosterone level a few notches to just above
Johnny Bravo level. However, I quickly realized I may have overdone
it a little and that I reached the pinnacle of masculinity when a kid
called me Chuck Norris the other day. Not really but seriously…five.

I know I have mentioned it before but the landscape here is beautiful.
Every time we take a trip it gets better and better. Today, on the
way to the rainforest the hills were crazy beautiful. It amazes me
how every hillside, valley, mountainside is used to plant or grow
something. There is no hill to steep or mountain to remote. There
are hundreds of plots (squares) of different crops littering the
hillsides. It’s crazy. Every hill looks like a hand made blanket
sewn together with every patch a different shade of green…absolutely
beautiful.

In other news…saw a few monkeys at the rainforest. They were cute.
However, I got the impression they weren’t as excited to see us as we
them. Oh well…no worries. Also, I may have said it before but life
here is simple. Days consists of the bare necessities…you know the
simple bare necessities…forget about your worries and your strife.
Anyway, people work to eat to live. Kids push wheels with sticks,
kick around soccer balls they made from banana leaves…those kinds of
things. Everything else is just not important and really doesn’t seem
to exist…especially in the rural areas. There is not a day that goes
by that I am not amazed at what these talented women can carry on
their heads. It is not uncommon to see a women (or man) carrying a
kitchen table on their head. And, I have heard stories of them
carrying much, much more.

Oh, I learned something new at church today. So, I noticed last time
at church they were auctioning things off towards the end of service.
I finally discovered what this “auctioning” is. So, in Rwanda (like
many other African countries) many people have little or no money.
But, they do have other things like milk, beans or rice. So, the
people who do not have money to give in the offering will bring what
they do have and it will be auctioned off in church and the money will
go towards the offering. So, nobody is left out. What is even cooler
is that when people buy these goods, they will pay 3 to 5 times what
they are worth because it is going to the church. It is really cool
to see how the community comes together to help each other out.

So, overall the mood is good, life is great and I got a beautiful wife
to share it all with. Read her blog for more news. I hope everyone
is doing well back home. As you know we miss you all very much. And
if you miss us…well…just send chocolate. Love you guys!!!









4 comments:

  1. It's really cool to read what you guys are able to see and be apart of. Sorry I'm just now writing you guys. Yesterday it was the first day spring and today we have about 9" of snow on the ground! It's crazy!! Anyways I hope that everything continues to go great for you guys, we'll keep checking in with ya! Tell Sarah we said hi, and we'll be praying for you.

    T.J. & Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, Tall... You are my hero. Just thought you should know. Don't be spanking those monkeys though, that would be inappropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are so funny! Started wondering if they really knew who Churck Norris was!! I wouldn't mind seeing you carry a kitchen table on your head!! lol! Love you both!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness you guys have been busy! It's Ashleigh from the Red Cross HIV class we took together, who you inspired to apply for PC. Any way, I've been reading your blog and it all sounds so amazing! I love all your posts and how descriptive you are about Rwanda and the people. It makes my heart swell with excitement that hopefully soon I too will be experiencing such wonderful new things as you.
    A small update on my PC stuff: I've been medically qualified and am waiting to hear from placement.*sigh* I don't know how you guys managed this process for over a year! My thoughts are I will end up in Benin or Mali, but then again this is PC so who knows :)
    One of your previous posts you talked about the other volunteers who give you a hard time about being Christian and their stereotypes. That was a little disappointing to hear, because you would think of all the places that would be the LEAST judgmental and stereotype-free it would be with a group of PCVs! Apparently not. I'm sorry to hear about all that. But you guys seem to be doing so well and having such an incredible time so far. I'm glad you get to post so much during this time, I've been anxious to read about your training experience.
    Hopefully I will be able to send you a care package soon and pick some things off your list. Keep us all posted and have fun! :) Go HIV Educators!! hehe

    ReplyDelete